Thursday, May 5, 2011

Post Game Thoughts on Two Games That I Missed

The Jays lost 3-1 to the Rays today. I had to work, so I didn't get the chance to watch the game. I missed last night's game too - I PVR'd it, but then accidentally tuned into the game live in the 8th inning with the Jays in the lead. So long story short, the Jays won 1 out of 3 against the Rays. All three games were pretty close and I'd like to think that if Bautista were in the lineup, the Jays could have easily won each game.

One thing that did come to mind is that domed stadiums are ugly to watch on television. Especially last night in Tampa when there was a backdrop of empty seats to frame the eye-gouginly bright and obviously artificial looking AstroTurf. I'm jealous of fans of teams with beautiful outdoor stadiums like the Phillies, Cubs and even the Yankees just to name a few. Unlike these outdoor ballparks, domed stadiums are sterile, symmetric and devoid of personality. They are nothing more than marriages of convenience - owners trying to squeeze as many dollars as they can by building these "multi-use" stadiums. Also, how is it possible that nobody wants to come out to see a young, exciting team like the Tampa Bay Rays play baseball? Maybe the folks who think that they should be relocated are right.

In defense of Rogers Field, it is much nicer to see the game in person than having the neon green turf burn a hole in my retinas on my HDTV. Unfortunately I live in Ottawa, and it's much cheaper and more comfortable to watch a ballgame at home on my couch than to shell out $12 for a beer, let alone gas, food, accommodation and $40 for decent seats.

2 comments:

  1. I think all these games without Bautista are a really good way to expose the kind of holes the Jays need to plug in order to compete in the AL East. We're not going to be making the post-season this year, but maybe these losses will only help to improve the club for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, definitely. I'm hoping the Jays make a run at getting Prince Fielder after the season. That'll take a lot of offensive pressure off of Bautista.

    ReplyDelete