Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Drabek!

I'm currently watching the Jays game on my I PVR. I made the mistake of checking my twitter page for updates, so I know that they won this game 6-4. While listening to Pat Tabler comment on Bautista's low RBI total, a solution occurred to me. Bat Bautista in the #2 spot. When he's not hitting solo HR's, he gets the Barry Bonds treatment and walks. All those forward thinking, progressive sabermetrics folks believe that slotting your best hitter in the #3 spot is ineffective. I'd suggest slotting in Aaron Hill when he's healthy, but for now Travis Snider could be a good fit too.

Drabek pitched OK today and lasted 6 innings, and for Jays pitching so far, that qualifies as deep. For a young starter who had some tough jams to pitch out of, it actually made me feel kind of hopeful when I'm thinking big picture about the future of the team. Oh, and my wife pronounces his name like "Trebek!" but with a D, a la Sean Connery on SNL, which is pretty funny.

Also, sorry for breaking my sabermetrics mandate...

2 comments:

  1. Here's how I watched the game last night:

    - Was out walking around the start of the game; got home and a movie Vanessa wanted to watch was on, so I had the game box score open on my phone. Score was 0-0 so watching a movie was okay.
    - Saw 6-run inning magically appear on my phone (thanks to Rivera & Bautista). Immediately switched to the game after movie was done.
    - Watched pitching staff almost collapse, stopped watching after top of the 8th

    Thank goodness they hung on to get the win for Drabek though. What is he now, 2-0? That's not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corey Patterson started things out with a 2 run shot, actually. I wouldn't call that a meltdown. Drabek let in 3 runs and Jon Rauch only let in one run (off a HR in the 9th inning).

    ReplyDelete