Monday, July 4, 2011

Is Rajai Davis the Odd Man Out?

I'm currently watching the Jays vs. Red Sox game. So far Toronto's leading 7-0. Travis Snider is seeing some early success with two doubles and some heads up baserunning to score a run off a bloop single. I doubt Corey Patterson would have scored on that play. I was somewhat surprised to hear that Travis Snider got the start today. The talk yesterday was that he'd start tomorrow's game, but I'm not complaining.

I think that we all can agree that once Brett Lawrie is fully recovered from his hand injury, he'll be called up to play 3rd base, which will move Bautista back to right field. Assuming Snider has found his swing and regained consistency, he'll be placed in center field and Thames seems to be making a case to be playing every day in left field. My guess is maybe they'll platoon Davis and Thames in the DH role, but it might be a worthwhile idea to see what return they could get from Davis before the trade deadline. He could be a useful player to a contending team looking for some depth. I'd rather they trade Corey Patterson, but I think his trade value is quickly diminishing. I'm also assuming that they'll have a hard time finding a taker for Encarnacion before the trade deadline, which means he'll see lots of time at DH.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting thought on Davis. Before reading The Extra 2% and hearing all about it from everyone else, I would probably have been the first to argue about trading him. I think that definitely they can move Davis for some solid prospects to help out in the future.

    ReplyDelete