Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Expos Luddite

Apparently the Conference Board of Canada has released a report that says Montreal can support a Major League Baseball team. I never was a huge Expos fan when they were playing, but after reading the article I was immediately hit with a feeling of regret. I wish that I would have paid more attention to the Expos. They were only a 2 hour drive away from Ottawa and like many, I never took advantage of the relatively short commute to see a Major League Baseball game. Could you imagine what could have been if the folks in Montreal would have built an open air stadium for the Expos? I've been sort of following the Nationals recently, and although it's not the same, it'll have to do. And it's truly a longshot for baseball to return to Montreal. First of all you'd need an owner/corporation with pockets as deep as Rogers, then you'd need either Tampa Bay a team to move or MLB to expand, and finally you'd need a new stadium. There's absolutely no way a baseball team could exist in Montreal without a new stadium and we all know how that worked out the first time around...

3 comments:

  1. I know you crossed out Tampa Bay but with its recent success I don't think there's a chance they would ever move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you haven't finished The Extra 2% yet... Even with all their success, the Rays are still having trouble drawing fans. They're currently locked into a horrible lease, but they really do need a better located stadium. The relocation talk could just be posturing to build a better stadium, but I can't see them seriously considering staying in Tampa if things don't get better in the next 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, having finished the book, I see what you're saying about the Rays' struggles. However, there's a point in the book where Keri mentions that the lease Tampa Bay has with the Trop (which goes until 2027 or something?) precludes them from being able to talk to another city, so that means no relocation for them without some serious lawyering.

    ReplyDelete