Tuesday, June 7, 2011

2011 MLB Draft - Arms Race

I watched a bit of the first round of last night's MLB Draft coverage and I found it pretty flat. Part of it might have been the tacky Tropicana faux-baseball field set, but I found it to be pretty boring. I pretty much just fast-forwarded everything after the first pick on my PVR until it was time for the Jays-Royals game. Maybe I expect more based on all the drama that's created in the NHL draft by the possibility that teams can trade up in the draft, but that's currently not permitted in the MLB.

And a note on the players drafted. Is it just me or were the vast majority of the players selected in the first round pitchers? I thought that GM's tended to lean towards position players who can make an impact on the field every day... Also the Jays selected high school players with their first couple of picks. Unless they have a guarantee that these players will sign, it seems like a waste of a draft pick if they opt to go to college and then later re-enter the draft. We're not likely to hear about these players for years to come anyways, but it all seems to go against Alex Anthopolous' cautious and calculated gameplan.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the thought process is that it's easier to pick up offense, and difficult to put together a solid bullpen? I remember when I did a draft in older MLB video games, I'd usually pick an ace starting pitcher first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because, of course, video games are an accurate representation of real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno... Apparently the Tampa Bay Rays lost almost all their bullpen pitchers from last year, but still managed to find some good relief pitching pretty quickly. And other than the closers, the Jays have had a pretty good bullpen over the years as well.

    ReplyDelete